The Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) has announced that the start of the first external review of the thematic assessment of the underlying causes of biodiversity loss, determinants of transformative change and options for achieving the 2050 Vision for Biodiversity (transformative change assessment) is open from 3 February to 17 March 2023 (6 weeks).
The first external review, which focuses on the first draft of the chapters of the assessment, is one of the most important phases in the IPBES assessment process and is addressed to interested and qualified experts (referred to as “the expert reviewers”). The widest possible participation and most diverse engagement of interested and qualified experts, including scientists, decision-makers, practitioners and other knowledge holders from all relevant disciplines and backgrounds, is vital to ensure the scientific quality, credibility and policy relevance of the assessment. Interested and qualified experts are invited to comment on text according to their knowledge and experience. The names of all expert reviewers will be acknowledged in the reports.
If you would like to participate as an expert reviewer in this external review, please follow these steps:
- Register as a user of the IPBES website if you have not already done so;
- Register to review the draft assessment at https://ipbes.net/registration/transformative-change/fod
- Once registered, you will receive an email providing confidential access to the draft chapters and glossary of the assessment;
- Comments must be submitted in English using the Excel comment template available on the same webpage as the chapters;
- The secretariat has a new system for submitting comments electronically; when you are ready to submit your comments, please upload your completed Excel template no later than 17 March 2023 at https://ipbes.net/transformative-change/fod (you must be logged in to upload your template);
- If you encounter any technical issues uploading your comments template, please contact email@example.com
Two online dialogues with stakeholders, including practitioners, are scheduled during the review period:
- 8 March, 10:00-12:00 CET
- 8 March, 16:00-18:00 CET
National focal points are welcome to attend the dialogues. Please note that you need to register as a reviewer to participate in the dialogues (step 2 above). The dialogue registration link will be made available by email after a successful registration as a reviewer. Please contact the technical support unit on capacity-building for technical questions regarding the online dialogues (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Finally, as a reminder, with reference to notification EM/2023/01, the first external review of the thematic assessment of the interlinkages among biodiversity, water, food and health (nexus assessment) is closing on 19 February 2023. Two online dialogues with stakeholders, including practitioners are scheduled during the review period for those registered as external reviewers on 9 February 2023, 9-11 a.m. CET and 6-8 p.m. CET.